Reader’s Question: Hello, I had a horrible car accident in LA just right after I left the court. I was very upset that day, but i was definitely in control and I didn’t break any rules. Now the other driver is trying to convince everyone that I was emotionally unstable and the car accident was my fault. My husband wants to take kids away from me and will use this accident during next trial. What can I do? A.
We suggest you to get a help of car accident attorney immediately. But before you do it, collect as much information as possible from the other driver. If you don’t get all the information your attorney might need, you may lose both of your cases. So what information you need to get:
- The name, address, phone number, and license information of the other driver.
- The other driver’s insurance policy, and insurance company information.
- The license plate # of the other car, and take pictures of the car if you still can do it.
- Write down as much information as possible about the accident itself. Your car accident lawyer will definitely ask you where the accident happened, the lane each driver was in, the direction you were both going, and the speed.
- Get contact details of all the witnesses. If your car accident attorney is professional enough, he/she will talk to witnesses. LA-based car accident attorneys Farar Law Group even often translators to get the information they need from the witnesses in case they speak language other than English.
- If the police arrived to the accident scene, make sure you don’t admit your fault or anything that can suggest it. If you don’t know the answer to a question, simply say I don’t know.
How to select a Los Angeles Auto Accident Lawyer
Since the accident happened in LA, you should always look for a local auto accident attorney with good track record. Look for a boutique law firm that has aggressive car accident lawyers who will truly fight for your rights, especially if one of the parties had an injury.
It’s a fact: insurance companies don’t want to pay money or will try to pay as little as possible. So there is a high chance your injury claim will be denied, instead you may be offered some quick cash, that is much lower than what you deserve. If you take quick cash, you won’t get any compensation in the future. You need an auto accident lawyer, who won’t settle for less. So if you had the injury, you must look for a car accident attorney who understands personal injury law.
Mistakes To Avoid
You should hire an attorney immediately after the accident. Some people try to speak to the opposing insurance company directly without consulting an attorney. They often give an incorrect statement, which can then be used to dismiss their claim, and can even be used against them in court. So even if the other driver’s insurance company is at fault, you may lose the case by simply providing incorrect statement that will make YOU look at fault.
Another very common mistake is not getting enough information about the accident and the other driver. Some victims don’t even call the police, or ask for the other driver’s insurance information. And if there were no witnesses, it will be almost impossible for police to investigate the accident.
Remember, never refuse suggested medical treatments. Otherwise it will be difficult to prove the validity of your injuries. Since there was no medical treatment, insurance company can easily deny your injuries ever existed and you will not get any compensation.
So if this is your case, contact car accident attorney now!