Collection of court-ordered child support and spousal support is a major national problem. It tends to be much less of a problem when the couple has agreed on the support amount(s), perhaps through divorce mediation. If you want to try to guarantee support payments from an employed payer, the best way is through garnishing their wages.
Garnishing works essentially as follows:
- Prepare a “wage assignment” form for the court to sign off on.
- The court signs the form, making it a wage assignment order.
- Serve the order on the employer of the payer.
- After a few weeks you should start receiving payments.
- Thereafter you’ll get paid when the employee does.